February 9-11, 2018
Bayou Bedlam is the annual contradance festival held in Houston, Texas. The 2018 festival, our 24th, will feature The Ripples and Dugan Murphy.
- The Ripples are:
- Kristen Planeaux: piano and flute
- Andrew Taylor: fiddle
- Christopher Wood: bass and guitar
- Gabrielle Lanza: percussion and vocals
Bayou Bedlam 2018 will be Dugan's and The Ripples' first time to appear at a Texas dance festival.
Use the links below to learn more about The Ripples and Dugan.
At A Glance
All events take place on the sprung wood floor of the KC Hall at 607 E. Whitney.
Registration for full time attendees is now open.
Bayou Bedlam is a smoke-free, alcohol-free, and fragrance-free event.
What's so special about Bayou Bedlam?
We believe that Bayou Bedlam is one of the best deals in contra dance weekend festivals, for these reasons:
- Unlike many contradance groups, we are fortunate to have an older hall built specifially for dancing, one with a sprung wood floor.
- Houston's February weather is normally mild—comfortably cool and sunny.
- The food! We include with your admission price home-cooked (not ordered out!) lunch on Saturday and brunch on Sunday as well as snacks during the evening dances.
- We offer the opportunity for callers in attendance to work with the featured band and for musicians to work with the featured caller. See the schedule page for details.
Please join us!
We love (and need) volunteers!
Please help make Bayou Bedlam a success by volunteering on the committee and/or a little bit of time over the weekend. See the Volunteer Page for more information.
We are always looking for home hospitality for our out-of-town guests. If
you can offer sleeping space, please use this form to submit your offer to our housing coordinator.
Slice 'n Dice
Volunteers are appreciated at the annual Slice 'n Dice party, an open-to-all gathering where the food preparation begins. Come join us around 7:00 pm on the Wednesday before the Bayou Bedlam weekend (Feb. 7 this year). We'll meet at Alice's home at 921 Judiway, 77018. Bring your own knives and cutting boards.
Important note for Houston area dancers
The Saturday night dance of Bayou Bedlam takes the place of our regular second Saturday dance. We will be at the KC Hall, not at St. Andrew's.
We hope that you will come for all or part of the weekend events; after all, we produce Bayou Bedlam for you, our local dancers, and invite others from around the country to join us. Not only will you have a blast, you can't help but improve your skills.
But if you can come only to one of the evening dances, be aware that the admission is $25 per person with no discounts* and that the dance program may be more challenging than our regular dances. As usual, young people under 18 are free.
*HATDS Members may qualify for a $5 discount. See the note about Attending Part Time at the bottom of the Registration Information page.
Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health—it rusts your spirit and your hips.
~ Adabella Radici