The early registration deadline is midnight on Friday, January 31. Save $10 per person and register now!
February 14-16, 2020
Bayou Bedlam is the annual contradance festival held in Houston, Texas. The 2020 festival, our 26th, features Susan Michaels calling to Pete's Posse and takes place over the Valentine Day / Presidents Day weekend.
Pete's Posse is
- Pete Sutherland (fiddle, piano, banjo, vocals)
- Oliver Scanlon (fiddle, mandolin, dobro, foot percussion, vocals)
- Tristan Henderson (guitars, mandolin, jaw harp, bodhran, foot percussion, and vocals)
See their website for bios, sound tracks, and videos.
Susan Michaels is making her third trip to Texas as a featured caller, having previously thrilled dancers in Austin (2007) and Dallas (2016). This is her first appearance in Houston.
Susan Michaels has been described as “an unstoppable force of attitude” and has been calling contras for as long as would command respect but not so long as to imply she’s losing her undeniable charm and precise skill.
Susan specializes in calling fun and flirty dances with impeccable flow. Her teaching is concise, clear, and effective based on her patented Calling Method known as “Shut Up and Dance.” She is known for her dry wit and occasionally inappropriate sense of humor, and believes it is her calling in life to facilitate joy.
At A Glance
- The early registration discount disappears midnight, January 31. Register now!
- If you are in the Houston area, please visit this page for important information. And please help out at the Slice 'n Dice party on February 12.
- The house concert with Pete's Posse that was advertised in an email blast is now sold out.
- Bayou Bedlam is a smoke-free, alcohol-free, and fragrance-free event.
Why Attend Bayou Bedlam?
You'll be joining dancers from all over Texas, the United States, and beyond. Bayou Bedlam is also a great value for your money; in fact, we believe that it is one of the best values in contra dance weekend festivals. Here's why:
- Unlike many contra dance groups, we are fortunate to have an older hall with a sprung wood floor that was built specifically for dancing.
- Houston's February weather is normally mild—comfortably cool and sunny.
- The food! We include home-cooked lunch on Saturday and brunch on Sunday as well as snacks during the evening dances.
- We offer the opportunity for callers in attendance to work with the featured band and for musicians to work with the featured caller. See the schedule page for details.
- We strive to keep the price as low as possible while not losing money, and we offer several discounts.
Please join us!
Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health—it rusts your spirit and your hips.
~ Adabella Radici